Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Kalamazoo Central High School

 Organization

Originally known as Union School (built in 1858); in 1870 the original building was structurally damaged in an earthquake; new school built on same site in 1880 named Kalamazoo High School. Fire destroyed the building in 1897, and a third and fourth building were eventually erected on the same site; became known as Central High School. In 1961 a second high school was built (Loy Norrix) and in 1972 a new Central High School building was constructed on Kalamazoo’s West Side; the original high school building is now referred to as Old Central High School and remains in community use.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Janet Brown Meulman Booklet

 Collection
Identifier: RH-A-3477
Scope and Contents The booklet contains information about graduates, especially those who attended the reunion on July 25, 2009.Included is information about what life was like for these people when they were growing up in Kalamazoo. The writer also wanted to include information about the community and was able to gather a great deal of information about stores, movie theaters, restaurants, movies and music, just to mention a few categories. There also are photographs from high school, elementary and junior high...
Dates: 2009-07-25