Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Kalamazoo Central High School


Originally known as Union School (built in 1858); in 1870 the original building was structurally damaged in an earthquake; new school built on same site in 1880 named Kalamazoo High School. Fire destroyed the building in 1897, and a third and fourth building were eventually erected on the same site; became known as Central High School. In 1961 a second high school was built (Loy Norrix) and in 1972 a new Central High School building was constructed on Kalamazoo’s West Side; the original high school building is now referred to as Old Central High School and remains in community use.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Esther Morris Rasmussen

Identifier: RH-A-1584
Scope and Contents Letters exchanged between Esther Morris Rasmussen (1914-1991), her immediate family, and friends, 1930-1980. The collection includes correspondence from Leo. Brown, Jr. to Esther, 1934-1939 and letters from Esther’s five brothers, Richard, Edward, Walter G., Robert S. and Harold during their service in the armed forces during World War II. Included are letters exchanged in early 1945 in regards to Robert’s untimely death in an airplane crash, as well as Harold’s abrupt marriage later in the...
Dates: 1930-1980