Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Kalamazoo Central High School

 Organization

Originally known as Union School (built in 1858); in 1870 the original building was structurally damaged in an earthquake; new school built on same site in 1880 named Kalamazoo High School. Fire destroyed the building in 1897, and a third and fourth building were eventually erected on the same site; became known as Central High School. In 1961 a second high school was built (Loy Norrix) and in 1972 a new Central High School building was constructed on Kalamazoo’s West Side; the original high school building is now referred to as Old Central High School and remains in community use.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

David Gernant Collection

 Collection
Identifier: RH-A-2999
Scope and Contents Personal papers relating to Kalamazoo Central High School, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 1953-1966, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, 1957-1963, 1991-1992, and Harvard Law School, 1960-1968. Family papers include diary, 1956-1960, photographs, family reminiscences. Gay rights materials include papers from Portland, Oregon and by-laws for Cascade Guild, 1976-1984.
Dates: 1960-2008