Pfizer Inc. was formerly formerly named the Chas. Pfizer and Company, inc. The name was changed to Pfizer Inc. in about 1970. W. E. and Henry Upjohn established the Upjohn Pill and Granule Company in 1886. The name was changed to the Upjohn Company in 1902 and merged with Pharmacia AB in November 1995, becoming Pharmacia and Upjohn. In April 2000, Pharmacia and Upjohn merged with Monsanto and Searle, becoming Pharmacia Corp. In 2002, Pfizer Inc. announced plans to buy Pharmacia and they took over on April 16, 2003. The company is now known as Pfizer Inc.