Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Scope and Contents Charlotte DeLano Ingerson (1838-1934) was the daughter of Ephraim and Nancy Gillett DeLano. Ephraim came to Cooper Township in 1834 from Providence, New York purchasing land in sections 8, 9, and 17 of the township. They built their house on the northeast corner of Douglas and C Avenues. It is not known when she began teaching but the Teacher’s Register book begins in 1857 when she was nineteen. In the 1860 census she is recorded as a school teacher living with her parents. The last entry in...
Scope and Contents The first school opened for School District #2 in Kalamazoo Township around 1833.Nicknamed, “Toad Hollow,” it was located at the corner of Parkview and Knox Avenues in what is now known as the Oakwood neighborhood. In 1884, the school moved to the present site of the Public Safety station for the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety on Parkview Avenue between Laird and Barnard Streets. At that time the school became known as Lake View and in 1908 renamed Oakwood Park School.From 1908 until...