Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 17
Scope and Contents The Kalamazoo Police Department traces its beginnings to 1882. These ledgers record a variety of calls the department received many of which dealt with animals, both alive and deceased, theft, assaults, lost items, accidents, missing children, rubbish, dangerous sidewalks and people who were inebriated.The entries record the reports but do not cover what the police did to deal with what was being reported.
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of one ledger owned by Benjamin C. Sheldon who was enrolled in Clark Commercial College in Kalamazoo. The ledger has work in it dated January to September, 1856.
Overview The collection is composed of two store ledgers dated 1852-1855 and 1859-1860 both from dry goods stores in Cassopolis, Cass County, Michigan.
Scope and Contents Claude Robinson (1880-1957) lived in Leonidas, Michigan. He owned a blacksmith shop where he occasionally created custom cabinets, shelves etc. His shop was located downtown on Main Street in Leonidas. He worked until he passed away at age 77. This ledger contains all expenditures and transactions that took place from January 1, 1908-August 30, 1909. He frequently did shoeing jobs and repaired buggies among other tasks. Dr. Syndergaard’s notes on the ledger are located in the donor file.
Scope and Contents The children sketched on some of the pages were probably Rhea and Martha Mcewen, the daughters of H. C. Mcewen. H. C. Mcewen worked for the public highways in Leonidas in 1888. They signed her name to a few pages. Rhea Mcewen was born in 1912 and Martha Mcewen was born in 1914, both in Leonidas, Michigan.
Scope and Contents This collection consists of the personal ledger of Hiram B. Valentine, a resident of Brady Township, Kalamazoo, MI, who ran a 40-acre farm along with his wife and four children. This collection was acquired by Dr. Sharon Carlson thanks to the Starring Endowment, in 2012. The ledger contained in this collection lists the wages paid to various farm laborers for certain tasks, as well as things related to the production of various goods (i.e., wheat, corn, butter, leather, etc.) and business...
Scope and Contents This collection contains one single account ledger book from J.H. Cronin Store of Marshall, Michigan between May 1, 1915 to July 26, 1915. This store was owned by Jeremiah Henry Cronin and was established in 1851 according to the Marshall directory of 1934. This ledger features all grocery sales accounts kept in chronological order. Every page in the ledger was full, and included the name of the customer and a list of their purchases below. This ledger provides a historical account of the daily...
Scope and Contents From the business statement we know that his Jeweler store was for some time located at 49 N. Main Street, Three Rivers. By 1964 it appears that Dooley had moved his business to a new location at 111 ½ W. Michigan Street. This may have been caused by new jewelers moving into the area, as seen within the 1964 Telephone Directory which has three jewelers all listed on N. Main Street. Although this directory does not list Dooley’s store.
Scope and Contents The first ledger’s dates range from 1906 to 1918. There is a gap between 1911 and 1915. In these recorded the owner records their financial information during the year. The first few pages of the ledger is an index of everyone that did business with the owner. The owner, based on his financial records was a farmer, who sold his goods to local people and businesses. The owner also includes an inventory of all of his financial purchases.The second leger looks as though the owner...
Scope and Contents The first school opened for School District #2 in Kalamazoo Township around 1833.Nicknamed, “Toad Hollow,” it was located at the corner of Parkview and Knox Avenues in what is now known as the Oakwood neighborhood. In 1884, the school moved to the present site of the Public Safety station for the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety on Parkview Avenue between Laird and Barnard Streets. At that time the school became known as Lake View and in 1908 renamed Oakwood Park School.From 1908 until...
- Beeson, B. F. 1
- Bourne family 1
- Clark Commercial College (Kalamazoo, Mich.) 1
- Cronin, Jeremiah H., 1873-1960 1
- Dooley, Lloyd S., 1896-1979 1
- Ferris, Wilcox & Co. (Leonidas, Mich.) 1
- First National Bank and Trust Company (Kalamazoo, Mich.) 1
- Griffin family 1
- Hinga, Dirk, 1861-1928 1
- Hinga, Frederick Martin, 1926-2012 1
- Hinga, Marvin, 1891-1951 1
- Hinga, Mildred Quigley, 1897-1994 1
- Hinga, Shawn 1
- International Typographical Union. Local 122 (Kalamazoo, Mich.) 1
- J.H. Cronin Store (Marshall, Mich.) 1
- Kalamazoo Public Schools 1
- Kingsbury, Charles Henry 1
- Lighthouse Funeral and Cremation (Athens, Mich.) 1
- Loney, Wayne H. 1
- Oakwood School District, Kalamazoo County, Mich. 1
- Pierce, Ardis J. (Ardis Jean), 1944-2013 1
- Pope family 1
- Quigley family 1
- Ritter, Joseph K. 1
- Robinson, Claude, 1880-1957 1
- Simmons, Orville C., approximately 1827- 1
- South Side Club (Kalamazoo, Mich.) 1
- Spencer Lighthouse of Athens (Athens, Mich.) 1
- Valentine, Hiram B., 1821-1891 1 ∧ less