Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 12

Alice Thomas Vivian Collection

 Collection
Identifier: RH-A-3590
Scope and Contents Theses binders contain notes from Alice’s classes that she took at Bronson school of Nursing. In addition to course notes there is a list of rules for the nurses while at school. The notes in these binders included different conditions and cures, the history or nurses and the history of nurses in other countries. The photo in this collection is of Alice in her nurses’ uniform. Alice was born in 1914; after she finished nursing school in 1935 she went to work for Dr. Hoebeke. She left work and...

Anna Poole Ferguson Collection

 File
Identifier: RH-A-3753
Scope and Contents Black-and-white photographs of Anna Poole Ferguson and her fellow nurses during their training at the Kalamazoo State Hospital Nursing Program, Kalamazoo, Michigan. Also included are a Training School for Nurses pamphlet, 1905-1905 and a black-and-white photograph labeled "Quarantine Small Pox 1905".

Charlotte DeLano Ingerson

 Collection
Identifier: RH-A-3538
Scope and Contents Charlotte DeLano Ingerson (1838-1934) was the daughter of Ephraim and Nancy Gillett DeLano. Ephraim came to Cooper Township in 1834 from Providence, New York purchasing land in sections 8, 9, and 17 of the township. They built their house on the northeast corner of Douglas and C Avenues. It is not known when she began teaching but the Teacher’s Register book begins in 1857 when she was nineteen. In the 1860 census she is recorded as a school teacher living with her parents. The last entry in...

Janet Brown Meulman Booklet

 Collection
Identifier: RH-A-3477
Scope and Contents The booklet contains information about graduates, especially those who attended the reunion on July 25, 2009.Included is information about what life was like for these people when they were growing up in Kalamazoo. The writer also wanted to include information about the community and was able to gather a great deal of information about stores, movie theaters, restaurants, movies and music, just to mention a few categories. There also are photographs from high school, elementary and junior high...

Mary Louise Treash Gaudie Collection

 Collection
Identifier: RH-A-3309
Abstract The collection is composed of a baby book and miscellaneous items for Mary Louise Treash Gaudie born in Kalamazoo on September 12, 1912 in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Michigan Female Seminary Collection

 Collection
Identifier: RH-A-3332
Abstract The collection is composed of various materials from the Michigan Female Seminary and date from 1872 until 1902.

Milwood Elementary School

 Collection
Identifier: RH-A-3980
Scope and Contents Material from the Milwood Elementary School, Kalamazoo, Michigan, include black-and-white and color photographs of school and class group photographs; record books; account books and scrapbooks from the Milwood Mothers Club.

Oakwood School District Assessor’s Book

 Collection
Identifier: RH-A-3398
Scope and Contents The first school opened for School District #2 in Kalamazoo Township around 1833.Nicknamed, “Toad Hollow,” it was located at the corner of Parkview and Knox Avenues in what is now known as the Oakwood neighborhood. In 1884, the school moved to the present site of the Public Safety station for the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety on Parkview Avenue between Laird and Barnard Streets. At that time the school became known as Lake View and in 1908 renamed Oakwood Park School.From 1908 until...

Richard Vander Molen Collection

 File
Identifier: RH-A-3751
Scope and Contents In 1896, Bronson Methodist Hospital got its start when land was acquired by a group of physicians fearing Kalamazoo’s growing population would outgrow the capabilities of Borgess Hospital, the only hospital in the city at the time. Just after the beginning of the 20th century, the same group physicians formed the Kalamazoo Hospital Association and opened the Kalamazoo Hospital in a house on John Street. In 1903, the ground was broke for a brand new hospital building. On 5 December 1905, the new...