Episcopal Community of St. John the Baptist (Mendham, N.J.)
According to the its website, the community of St. John Baptist was founded in England in 1852 by Canon Thomas Thelluson Carter and Harriet O'Brien Monsell, the widow of a clergyman. The Sisters' original work, the Clewer House of Mercy, took in "fallen women" - prostitutes and other destitute women from the streets, caring for them and teaching them skills to earn a living. Soon the Sisters were running orphanages, schools, convalescent hospitals, soup kitchens, homes for working girls, and a church needlework business.
The CSJB Sisters came to the United States in 1874 through the generosity of the Folsom family of New York. Helen Folsom joined the Community in 1871 and became Sr. Helen Margaret. The Folsoms donated their former home to become the first St. John Baptist House.
Three years later, the Community built their first convent in New York City. From this base, the Sisters began work. They worked with immigrants through the Holy Cross Mission, with women from the streets through the Midnight Mission. Again they founded schools, convalescent hospitals, orphanages, and summer rest homes.
In 1900 the Community bought land in Mendham, New Jersey. In 1908 St. Marguerite's orphanage was built there, and a new convent followed in 1915. In 1929 St. John Baptist School moved from New York City to Mendham.