Red Brick Tavern Inn and Store (Plainwell, Mich.)
According to Promotemichigan.com article "Spirited Stories: Michigan’s Ghostly Encounters," the Red Brick House, built in 1838 by Calvin Cutler White, was the first lodging available in the county vicinity. In 1926, the Red Brick Inn was sold to Arthur Eberhardt who continued the operation of the eating place until 1928 when Charlie Richards purchased the Property.
Red Brick Tavern Inn and Store, which was a popular layover for travelers of the Grand Rapids to Kalamazoo Plank Road was also a stop on the Underground Railroad. Now occupied by Sam’s Joint, which has closed down in approximately 2015.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
The collection is composed of photos, magazine articles and materials relating to the Red Brick Inn, Jaycees, sheep farming, 4-h and other facets of Edward Barton’s life. The collection is one cubic foot.
Materials relating to the Edward Barton and family include information about Michigan Fiber-Optic Cable Litigation, ca. 2004; information on sheep farming and 4-H; Plainwell School reunion information, 1950s-2000s; brochure with recipes from the Red Brick Inn, Plainwell, Michigan, 1940s-1950s. Edward Barton family correspondence and photographs both color and black-and-white. Parent Education Club and Michigan Mother's Manuel, 1940s-1950s.