Kalamazoo Trust and Savings Bank (Kalamazoo, Mich.)
Built in 1929, the Kalamazoo Trust and Savings Bank was designed by Chicago Architects Weary and Alford. Standing fifteen stories tall, this Art Deco style building was designed with the intent to bring a modern feel to the downtown Kalamazoo Area. German-born artist Otto Stauffenberg was also commissioned to paint the mural that can be found on the vaulted lobby ceiling. Originally built to house the bank on the lower two floors with the intention of the business expanding upwards, the remaining floors were equipped for a variety of uses. In addition to office and commercial spaces, one floor was specifically engineered to house medical equipment and another to be used as a hair salon. In 1930, Kalamazoo Trust and Savings Bank merged with Kalamazoo National Bank as a result of instability following the stock market crash. In 1933, it became known as the American National Bank building and has undergone several additional name changes since. Currently, the building is known as Fifth Third Bank (as of 2001) and can still be seen as a prominent part of Kalamazoo’s skyline.