Van Keuren School (Allegan, Mich.)
Allegan County, Michigan was home to over 200 one room schoolhouses, some dating back to the 19th century. One such school was the Van Keuren School (also known as the Mapleview School) built in 1846 in Allegan County’s District No. 6. at the corner of 118th Ave. and 26th Ave., though it was later moved to the northwestern corner of the property. This section of land was purchased in 1846 by Philo Van Keuren (1815-1887), Nina “May” Van Keuren’s grandfather. The Van Keuren School was the first schoolhouse to be built in Allegan Township, though it no longer exists today.