Skip to main content

American Playing Card Co.

 Organization

Biography

In an article in the Kalamazoo Gazette published April 20, 1890, the American Playing Card Company announced that it would begin construction of a new factory on “Taylor St, the Simpson lot.” The project had a $50,000 budget and included plans for a 3 story factory employing 50 hands. The company manufactured many different types of cards, as shown in the price list brochure, including Golf, Rover, and Sportingman’s brand playing cards. At the time of its construction and operation, the original plant was managed by W.H. Longley of Ohio. In 1926, Upjohn acquired the building after the plant moved elsewhere and used it as a storage facility up until its eventual destruction in 1966. The plot of land where the plant once stood is still owned by the Upjohn company today.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

American Playing Card Company Pamphlet

 Item — Box: 1 of 1
Identifier: RH-A-4312
Scope and Contents This collection is composed of one pamphlet from the American Playing Card Company in Kalamazoo dating from 1900.The front cover contains the title “Wholesale Price List of American Playing Cards” along with information regarding prepaid freight pricing. Along the bottom of the front page it states “The American Playing Card Co., Kalamazoo, - Mich.” As well as the address of the company’s New York office. Inside the pamphlet is an extensive list detailing the different classes...
Dates: 1900