Lawrence, William, 1836-1910
William Lawrence 1836-1910 and his second wife Melinda J. Carcon Schroder Lawrence were married in 1902 and together until Mr. Lawrence’s death in 1910. Melinda and William did not have any children together although she was the step-mother to his four children from his previous marriage. William Lawrence moved to Kalamazoo in 1867 and purchased a machine shop, approximately 1872. Mr. Lawrence and Dr. L. C. Chapin opened Lawrence & Chapin, a company specializing in iron works and manufacturing agricultural implements like the spring tooth harrow. The business operated until its decline and eventual sale in 1899. The old company building still stands on North Rose Street.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
This collection encompasses the financial information of William and Melinda Lawrence from 1882-1906 in Galesburg and Kalamazoo Michigan. Financial information includes business-related receipts as well as rent that Melinda received. Personal financial information includes bills from a grocer, a tailor, and a luxury car establishment. Other financial statements and bills include utilities, tax forms, insurance, correspondence, and a contract with the Dodge Plow Company.