Edward Callan Papers and Miscellaneous Authors Collection
Scope and Contents
This is a collection of miscellaneous material related to Edward Callan's personal research or writing on Irish, British and American literature. It consists of photocopied articles relating to Irish, British and American poets, handwritten and photocopied sheet music, handwritten and typed research notes, correspondence and ephemera. The research notes and articles are primarily concerning Irish author James Joyce and poet W.B. Yeats. The correspondence includes exchanges between Edward Callan and Stephen J. Joyce, the grandson of James Joyce. Boxes 2 and 3 contain the correspondence between Callan and Stephen J. Joyce and have been labeled "confidential" at the request of the donors. Please contact department for any questions regarding Boxes 2 and 3.
- 1903-2000; bulk 1958-1992
- Other: Date acquired: 12/1996
- Callan, Edward (Edward Thomas O'Dwyer), 1917-2011 (Compiler, Person)
Conditions Governing Use
Box 2 and 3 are restricted.
Biographical / Historical
Edward Callan (1917-2011) was born in Ireland and lived in South Africa for many years before emigrating to the United States in 1952. After teaching stints at Fordham and Loyola universities, he settled in Kalamazoo in 1957, teaching English at WMU until his retirement in 1983 after 26 years of service to the University. He was an authority on the poets W.H. Auden and William Butler Yeats as well as on the literature, history and politics of South Africa. He also was one of the University's most honored faculty members. In 1983, Callan was appointed a Distinguished Faculty Professor, WMU's highest faculty honor, and in 1980, he was named a Distinguished Faculty Scholar, WMU's highest scholarly award.
Language of Materials
Articles on James Joyce and W.B. Yeats, research notes, correspondence, sheet music and ephemera.
Physical Access Requirements
WMU Special Collections. Non-circulating. Contact department for access.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
The collection is housed in 3 archival boxes (approximately 1.5 linear feet).
- American literature -- 20th century -- History and criticism
- American poetry -- 20th century
- Authors -- 20th century -- Correspondence
- English poetry -- 20th century
- English poetry -- History and criticism
- Irish literature -- 19th century -- History and criticism
- Irish literature -- 20th century -- History and criticism
- Joyce, James, 1882-1941 -- Criticism and interpretation
- Literature -- 20th century
- Literature -- History and criticism
- Serial publications
- Yeats, W. B. (William Butler), 1865-1939 -- Criticism and interpretation
- Inventory of the Edward Callan Papers and Miscellaneous Authors Collection Finding Aid
- Alexandra Weeldreyer, Neil Chase, and Abbey Buckham
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description