Skip to main content

Academy of Music Collection

 Collection
Identifier: RH-A-3327
Feeling a need for a true opera house, a group of local investors raised the necessary capital and hired one of the country's premier architects, Dankmar Adler who designed the building known as the Academy of Music which opened on May 8, 1882. A variety of traveling companies performed here over the next thirty-five years along with lectures, orchestras, choirs and other events. In 1916 it became a vaudeville and silent movie house called the Regent under the ownership of W.S. Butterfield. A fire destroyed the theater in June, 1930 although the front part remained housing offices until 1967 when this and two other buildings were taken down for the Industrial State Bank, now known as Comerica Bank.

Dates

  • 1882-1910

Creator

Physical Description

The collection amounts to .10 cubic feet and is composed of programs from the Academy of Music dating from 1882 to 1910. They range in size from 3” x 5 ½” to 6” x 5” to 6” x 10 ½”. Most are in black-and-white although some have orange borders and a drawing of a woman in the middle with an orange background. The programs are filled with a variety of advertisements and a floor plan of the theater. The programs, for the most part, are in good condition although several of the programs have been folded. There also is wear along the edges, evidence of dirt and some tears along the edges, especially the corners. In addition, there is some discoloration on several of the programs. There also is a collection of programs that were glued on to pages from another publication. The programs are approximately 9 ½” x 4” and are in very delicate condition. They are weak along the edges, have dirt and are discolored.

Conditions Governing Access

Some of the programs are in delicate condition.

Extent

0.10 Cubic Feet

Abstract

The collection is composed of programs from the Academy of Music dating from 1882-1910.

Custodial History

Most of this collection was acquired through the Starring Endowment although there was one program transferred from the collection A-64 called Acquired. In addition some were from the WMU Department of Theater Collection.

Source of Acquisition

Starring Endowment

Physical Description

The collection amounts to .10 cubic feet and is composed of programs from the Academy of Music dating from 1882 to 1910. They range in size from 3” x 5 ½” to 6” x 5” to 6” x 10 ½”. Most are in black-and-white although some have orange borders and a drawing of a woman in the middle with an orange background. The programs are filled with a variety of advertisements and a floor plan of the theater. The programs, for the most part, are in good condition although several of the programs have been folded. There also is wear along the edges, evidence of dirt and some tears along the edges, especially the corners. In addition, there is some discoloration on several of the programs. There also is a collection of programs that were glued on to pages from another publication. The programs are approximately 9 ½” x 4” and are in very delicate condition. They are weak along the edges, have dirt and are discolored.
Title
Academy of Music Collection Finding Aid
Status
completed
Author
Lynn Houghton
Date
2014-05-02
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository

Contact:
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US
(269) 387-8490