Skip to main content

Edward Snyder Collection

 File
Identifier: RH-A-3935
The Kalamazoo Creamery Company began in 1904 moving into the former Kalamazoo Sanitary Milk Company building located on North Church Street. However, the company moved in 1906 to 412-418 E. South Street. Between 1917 and 1919 Kalamazoo Creamery purchased the Kalamazoo Brewery and moved into that building located at 718 Lake Street on the corner of Portage St. In 1965 the Creamery sold their bottled milk, cottage cheese and ice cream concerns. The company was sold in 1970 to the Independent Cooperative Milk Producers Association of Grand Rapids, MI which produced butter, powdered, and condensed skim milk. The Kalamazoo Creamery closed in 1997.

Dates

  • August 4, 1930

Physical Description

This collection amounts to 0.05 cubic feet of space and is comprised of one envelope stamped August 4, 1930. The envelope measures 6 ½”x3 ¾” and is cream in color with black printing. The return address printed on the upper left corner is for the Kalamazoo Creamery Co. 718 Lake St. Kalamazoo, Mich. The envelope is addressed to Edward Snyder 528 Parker St. City in type-written letters. In the bottom left corner is a picture of a milk bottle and Clover Brand butter with the words "quality service" encompassing it. The company's motto "sunshine, fresh air, good milk" is also printed in the bottom left corner. The envelope is in good condition with minor wear and some folding. It has been torn open along the right side to remove the contents the envelope once contained.

Extent

.05 Cubic Feet ; 6 ½” x 3 ¾”

Biographical / Historical

Edward Snyder was born in Selena, Illinois on February 18, 1891. He married Florence Ellen Alvord (1/11/1903-12/24/1990) on September 16, 1924 in Kalamazoo, MI. The Snyders lived at 528 Parker St. from 1931 to 1934. Edward died on August 26, 1967. Florence died on December 24, 1990. They are both buried in Riverside Cemetery in Kalamazoo.

Physical Description

This collection amounts to 0.05 cubic feet of space and is comprised of one envelope stamped August 4, 1930. The envelope measures 6 ½”x3 ¾” and is cream in color with black printing. The return address printed on the upper left corner is for the Kalamazoo Creamery Co. 718 Lake St. Kalamazoo, Mich. The envelope is addressed to Edward Snyder 528 Parker St. City in type-written letters. In the bottom left corner is a picture of a milk bottle and Clover Brand butter with the words "quality service" encompassing it. The company's motto "sunshine, fresh air, good milk" is also printed in the bottom left corner. The envelope is in good condition with minor wear and some folding. It has been torn open along the right side to remove the contents the envelope once contained.
Title
Edward Snyder Collection Finding Aid
Status
completed
Author
Ashley Kirvan
Date
2015-08-10
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository

Contact:
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US
(269) 387-8490