Skip to main content

Michigan Female Seminary Collection

 Collection
Identifier: RH-A-3332
The Michigan Female Seminary, opened in January, 1867, was a private school supported by the Presbyterian Church. It provided education for young girls aged fifteen and above. It was located on top of a hill on the northwest corner of Gull and Riverview. Eventually it offered college-level classes that could be transferred to the University of Michigan. The school remained open until 1907.

Physical Description: The collection amounts to .25 cubic feet and is composed of catalogs, programs, Oak Leaves, a speech and one photograph. The items range from 5 ½”x4” to 7”x8 ¾”. They are in fairly good condition although some of the programs are discolored at the edges and the paper is very delicate. The catalogs are filled with a wide variety of information including classes, calendar, and names of teachers, trustees and students. Some of the later editions contained black and white photographs of the building, both interior and exterior shots, the grounds and the students. The Oak Leaves is filled with student writings and notes about students and alumni along with advertisements for local businesses.

Dates

  • Created: 1872-1904

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

No restrictions

Extent

0.25 Cubic Feet

Abstract

The collection is composed of various materials from the Michigan Female Seminary and date from 1872 until 1902.

Arrangement Note

By material

Source of Acquisition

Acquired Collections and the Starring Endowment
Title
Michigan Female Seminary Collection Finding Aid
Status
completed
Author
Lynn Houghton
Date
2013-02-10
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository

Contact:
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US
(269) 387-8490