Phelps & Bigelow Windmill Company Collection
Scope and Contents
The Phelps & Bigelow Windmill Company began in 1877 under the ownership of Horace Phelps and M.J. Bigelow. They became known for the IXL windmills made in wood and later steel. In 1918 the company was known as the Phelps-Bigelow Windmill and Manufacturing Company and one year later was acquired by the Ihling-Doorenbos Company. In 1920 the firm reorganized as the IXL Windmill Company and remained in business until at least 1948. The company was listed in the city directory that year but gone by 1950.
Conditions Governing Access
0.05 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is composed of one catalog from the Phelps & Bigelow Wind Mill Company, c1888.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection amounts to .05 cubic feet and is composed of one small catalog, c1888 from the Phelps & Bigelow Windmill Company of Kalamazoo, Michigan. The catalog is 8 ½”x5 ½” and unfolds to 8 ½”x22”. It contains information about their windmill along with testimonials from individuals about the quality of the product. In addition there are sketches of various tanks and a sketch of Disston’s Pleasant Valley Stock Farm in Woodtown, New Jersey which has an IXL windmill produced by Phelps & Bigelow. The catalog is in good condition although there is some yellowing and rusting near the spine from the staples. There also some staining on the front.
- Phelps & Bigelow Windmill Company Collection Finding Aid
- Lynn Houghton
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US