Skip to main content

Pine Crest Sanatorium Collection

 Collection
Identifier: RH-A-3451
The collection is composed of two brochures from the privately run Pine Crest Sanatorium, which opened in 1920 and was located in Oshtemo Township, Michigan. The Pine Crest Sanatorium began in 1920 by Dr. Benjamin Shepherd. According to a Kalamazoo Gazette article, he first began treating soldiers from World War I who suffered from tuberculosis. A February article has the Sanatorium on Inkster Avenue in Kalamazoo. In an June article it confirms that the institution is at, "the end of the Burdick Street car line on one of the most beautiful hills in Kalamazoo..." By August of 1920, an article states that Shepherd has purchased the P.D. Robertson home north of the Oshtemo village located on the Territorial Road five miles west of Kalamazoo. It is not known how long this institution remained in operation, but there is a 1945 newspaper article discussing the death of a patient there.

Dates

  • 1920-1945

Creator

Physical Description

The collection amounts to .05 cubic feet and is composed of two brochures. One is 10 ½”x6 ¼”, unfolded. It is sepia toned with typed information and photographs of the site. It gives information about the Sanatorium and some of its features. It also lists the staff which includes Dr. Benjamin Shepard, medical director. The second brochure is a small booklet, 4 ¼”x6 ¼” with a total of eight pages and is black, white and green. It has a few photographs but a great deal of text giving instructions and information for "friends, visitors and patients," covering treatment patient care, rules and suggestions for family and visitors. The brochures are in good condition. The front and back covers of the multi-page booklet shows a little dirt along with some wear at the corners and edges.

Conditions Governing Access

No restrictions

Extent

0.05 Cubic Feet

Overview

The collection is composed of two brochures from the privately run Pine Crest Sanatorium, which opened in 1920 and was located in Oshtemo Township, Michigan. It is not known when this institution closed but it was opened at least through 1945.

Source of Acquisition

Michigan State Archives

Physical Description

The collection amounts to .05 cubic feet and is composed of two brochures. One is 10 ½”x6 ¼”, unfolded. It is sepia toned with typed information and photographs of the site. It gives information about the Sanatorium and some of its features. It also lists the staff which includes Dr. Benjamin Shepard, medical director. The second brochure is a small booklet, 4 ¼”x6 ¼” with a total of eight pages and is black, white and green. It has a few photographs but a great deal of text giving instructions and information for "friends, visitors and patients," covering treatment patient care, rules and suggestions for family and visitors. The brochures are in good condition. The front and back covers of the multi-page booklet shows a little dirt along with some wear at the corners and edges.
Title
Pine Crest Sanatorium Collection finding aid
Status
completed
Author
Lynn Houghton
Date
2012-09-03
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository

Contact:
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US
(269) 387-8490