Kalamazoo Philharmonic Concerts
Scope and Contents
The Philharmonic Concerts began in Kalamazoo in the 1920s. It brought to Kalamazoo a wide variety of classical musicians and orchestras along with operatic performances. A sheet in one of the program booklets states that it began under the "auspices of the Board of Education." Initially the concerts were held in the Kalamazoo Armory but then later, with the completion of the new auditorium at Central High School, moved there by 1924. Other information in the booklets state that the Philharmonic Concerts traveled to a variety of cities: Detroit, Lansing, Flint, Grand Rapids, Toronto, Buffalo, Cleveland and Kalamazoo. It is not known how long this series operated in Kalamazoo but we do know that the Kalamazoo Community Concerts began in 1931 so it is possible the Philharmonic Concerts ended by 1930.
- Kalamazoo Philharmonic Concerts (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
0.05 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
This collection is composed of programs from the Kalamazoo Philharmonic Concert series that were held in Kalamazoo beginning in 1923 and into 1930.
The collection amounts to .05 cubic feet and is composed of programs from the Kalamazoo Philharmonic Concert from 1928 and 1929. They range in size from 10”x6 ½”, 10 ¼”x7” and 9”x6”. The programs are for the most part in good condition although the paper is delicate.
Some of these programs had been a part of this collection along programs from the Kalamazoo Community Concerts. A decision was made to remove those programs and add them to A-2839 the Kalamazoo Community Concerts Collection and the programs in this collection from the Kalamazoo Philharmonic Concerts were taken out and added to this collection which is now called Kalamazoo Philharmonic Concerts. Some of the programs came from the Department of Theater Collection.
- Kalamazoo Philharmonic Concerts Finding Aid
- Lynn Houghton
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US