Skip to main content

First Presbyterian Church of Kalamazoo Collection

 Collection
Identifier: RH-A-54
Presbyterians and Congregationalists joined together to form a congregation in Kalamazoo in 1835. They split in 1849 and the Presbyterians date the founding of their congregation to that date. They have been in three different churches around Bronson Park, their present building completed in 1930. The collection has a wide variety of items relating to the First Presbyterian Church ranging from weekly service programs, materials relating to the Centennial Celebration in 1949 and pages from the bi-monthly newsletter, The Presbytr.

Dates

  • 1911-2006

Creator

Physical Description

The collection amounts to .25 cubic feet and is composed of bulletins, booklets, weekly service programs, pages from The Presbytr and materials relating to the Centennial Celebration in 1949. The materials vary in size, most are a little more than 5"x7". The items from the Centennial Celebration are all sizes. Mostly all items are in good condition but some of the table decorations from 1949 are delicate.

Extent

0.25 Cubic Feet

Overview

The collection is composed of materials from the First Presbyterian Church of Kalamazoo, Michigan, and date from 1911 to 2006.

Source of Acquisition

Some of these items were acquired and others came from the Dean Arend Collection, A-1191, especially the materials relating to the Centennial. Others were acquired through the Starring Collection.

Related Materials

First Presbyterian Church: A Phoenix from the Ashes, Fred Peppel, formerly of the Kalamazoo Public Library staff, August 2005. Updated October 2007.

Physical Description

The collection amounts to .25 cubic feet and is composed of bulletins, booklets, weekly service programs, pages from The Presbytr and materials relating to the Centennial Celebration in 1949. The materials vary in size, most are a little more than 5"x7". The items from the Centennial Celebration are all sizes. Mostly all items are in good condition but some of the table decorations from 1949 are delicate.
Title
First Presbyterian Church of Kalamazoo Collection Finding Aid
Status
completed
Author
Lynn Houghton
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository

Contact:
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US
(269) 387-8490