First Presbyterian Church of Kalamazoo Collection
Scope and Contents
Presbyterians and Congregationalists joined together to form a congregation in Kalamazoo in 1835. They split in 1849 and the Presbyterians date the founding of their congregation to that date. They have been in three different churches around Bronson Park, their present building completed in 1930. The collection has a wide variety of items relating to the First Presbyterian Church ranging from weekly service programs, materials relating to the Centennial Celebration in 1949 and pages from the bi-monthly newsletter, The Presbytr.
- First Presbyterian Church (Kalamazoo, Mich.) (Creator, Organization)
0.25 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is composed of materials from the First Presbyterian Church of Kalamazoo, Michigan, and date from 1911 to 2006.
Source of Acquisition
Some of these items were acquired and others came from the Dean Arend Collection, A-1191, especially the materials relating to the Centennial. Others were acquired through the Starring Collection.
The collection amounts to .25 cubic feet and is composed of bulletins, booklets, weekly service programs, pages from The Presbytr and materials relating to the Centennial Celebration in 1949. The materials vary in size, most are a little more than 5"x7". The items from the Centennial Celebration are all sizes. Mostly all items are in good condition but some of the table decorations from 1949 are delicate.
- Fires -- Michigan -- Kalamazoo -- History -- 19th century
- First Presbyterian Church (Kalamazoo, Mich.)
- First Presbyterian Church (Kalamazoo, Mich.) -- Anniversaries, etc.
- First Presbyterian Church (Kalamazoo, Mich.) -- Centennial celebrations, etc.
- Kalamazoo (Mich.) -- Church history
- Presbyterian church buildings -- Michigan -- Kalamazoo -- History
- Presbyterians -- Michigan -- Kalamazoo -- History
- church bulletins
- First Presbyterian Church of Kalamazoo Collection Finding Aid
- Lynn Houghton
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US