Kalamazoo Fraternal Organizations Collection
Scope and Contents
Fraternal organizations for both men and women have been a part of Kalamazoo for many years. By 1848 a Masonic order began here and by 1887 there were thirteen different societies with chapters in the city. The names of the organizations ranged from the Eagles, Foresters, Knights of Honor, Modern Woodman, Odd Fellows, Moose, United Workmen and the Ancient Orders of Orioles, Owls, Patricians, Red Eagles, Rodents and Beagles.
- Created: 1906-1942
0.10 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is composed of materials from various fraternal organizations located in Kalamazoo, Michigan, and date from 1906 to 1942.
Source of Acquisition
Most of the items in this collection were purchased with funds from the Starring Endowment.
The collection amounts to .10 cubic feet and is composed of a variety of items of varying sizes that come from fraternal organizations that were in Kalamazoo. The items themselves date from 1906 to 1942 and are arranged according to the name of the organization, grouped in alphabetical order. There are membership cards, along with the containers they were stored, booklets, raffle tickets and other items. Also there is a badge for the Elks in their file. The items range from 2 ½” to 4 ¼” to 7 ½” to 9 ½” on various types of paper stock. Many of the items are on colored paper although there are a few that are in black in white. There are also small booklets. For the most part the items are in good condition although some of the membership slips in the Eagles folder are in two pieces. Some of the materials are worn and dirty.
This collection will be an open collection. As more items are acquired, they will be put in the appropriate folder.
- Elks (Fraternal Order). Lodge No. 50 (Kalamazoo, Mich.)
- Fraternal Order of Eagles. Kalamazoo Aerie No. 526 (Kalamazoo, Mich.)
- Fraternal organizations -- Michigan -- Kalamazoo
- Improved, Benevolent, Protective Order of Elks of the World. Lodge No. 1319 (Kalamazoo, Mich.)
- Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Burr Oak Lodge No. 7 (Kalamazoo, Mich.)
- Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Rebekah Lodge No. 265 (Kalamazoo, Mich.)
- Kalamazoo (Mich.) -- Societies and clubs
- Knights of Columbus. Kalamazoo Council 1616 (Kalamazoo, Mich.)
- Loyal Order of the Moose. Lodge #88 (Kalamazoo, Mich.)
- Kalamazoo Fraternal Organizations Collection finding aid
- Lynn Houghton
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US