Skip to main content

Tamarack School (Alamo Township, Mich.)



The first Tamarack School was built in 1880 and may have gotten its name because it was built from tamarack logs, although it was called Gerald School on the 1918 topographic map. Supposedly it was built in another location and later moved to Owen Drive and 6th Street. If so, it was moved soon after it was built because it shows at the latter location in the 1890 atlas. The last building on that site appears to have been built about 1914. Closed in 1956 and converted to a private residence.

For more information, see the records available by the Kalamazoo Public Library.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Alamo Township Schools Collection

Identifier: RH-A-4247
Scope and Contents

This collection is composed of eighteen ledgers, documents, and photographs from Alamo Township schools from 1879 to 1954.

The ledgers and documents contained within this collection are linked to several schools throughout the township such as Tamarack, Hackley, Oak Grove, and Williams School. The ledgers contain material such as teacher contracts, student grades, and student attendance records.

Dates: 1879-1954