Alamo Township Schools Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection is composed of eighteen ledgers, documents, and photographs from Alamo Township schools from 1879 to 1954.
The ledgers and documents contained within this collection are linked to several schools throughout the township such as Tamarack, Hackley, Oak Grove, and Williams School. The ledgers contain material such as teacher contracts, student grades, and student attendance records.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research use. Most collections must be retrieved by staff and can take up to thirty minutes to retrieve. Please make an appointment in order to have the materials ready when you arrive.
Biographical / Historical
Alamo Township was organized in 1835 and the first school in the township was built two years later in 1837 and was known as the Finch School. Eventually there would come to be a total of nine school throughout Alamo Township.
1.0 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
The photographs have been relocated to the RHC Photograph Collection (A-3608).
This collection is consists of eighteen ledgers and 1.0 cubic feet of documents related to various schools in Alamo Township. The material ranges from 1879 to 1954.
The ledgers are in mixed condition: ledgers 1, 6, 8, and 18 are in bad condition, the covers are stained and there is extensive damage on the covers and the spines.
The remaining ledgers are in good condition, all of the ledgers are written in ink and all of them are still legible. The ledgers range from 11”x9.5”x1.5” to 15”x10”x1”.
The documents range in size from 10”x 14” to 2.5”x 2.75” and they consist of material from various schools within Alamo Township.
Ledgers 1, 6, 8, and 18 are in poor condition and need to be handled with extreme care.
Detailed inventory located in donor file.
Ledgers are flagged with numbers which correspond to notes located in the donor file.
- Alamo Township Schools Collection Finding Aid
- Stephanie Chapman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- All materials are in English.
Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US