Beta Phi Mu. Kappa Chapter (Kalamazoo, Mich.)
Beta Phi Mu was organized nationally in 1948. The Kappa Chapter was installed at Western Michigan University on June 7, 1966. The Constitution of the Kappa Chapter states that the purpose of the fraternity is “to recognize high scholarship in the study of librarianship, and to sponsor appropriate professional and scholarly projects.” The Kappa Chapter was sponsored by the Western Michigan University Department of Librarianship. Regina F. Berneis was the first president of the Chapter. The Kappa Chapter was formed by Dr. Laurel Grotzinger, who worked in the Department of Librarianship, and Mr. Donald R. Brown, who worked as the reference librarian at Waldo Library. The Kappa Chapter was regularly active until 1993, fading once WMU closed the Library School. Meetings were held in 1994 and 1997, and the Chapter officially closed in April 2000.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
The collection is composed of records from Beta Phi Mu, Kappa Chapter, located in Kalamazoo MI between 1966 and 2000. The collection includes 29 folders of documents such as brochures, initiation booklets, treasure's booklets, membership records, a scrapebook and photo album. The album contains news clippings and a letter from John Upjohn.