Crossroads Club (Galesburg, Mich.)
The Crossroads Club was founded in Galesburg, Michigan by Gladys Henson and Florence Wixson on July 32, 1931. The Club was county federated in September 1932 and state federated in the fall of 1950. The Crossroads Club was founded with 19 members, eventually growing to 30 members, which was the clubs limit. The Crossroads Club met twice a month between September and June at homes of the members. The Club operated programs involving book reviews, playlets, speakers, and current events. The Crossroads Club was responsible for charity work, including providing groceries and cash for two families every year, as well as donating to organizations such as the Red Cross and the March of Dimes.
The Crossroads Clubs earned money from rummage sales, food sales, white elephant sales, card parties, and plays. They used this money to sponsor the Chix Club and the Bandettes. The Chix Club was composed of daughters of the members of the Crossroads Club. The Bandettes was composed of members of the Crossroads Club who would use kitchen utensils as musical instruments and sing songs for people. The Bandettes performed for veterans as well as factory workers.
Throughout the late 1960s the group became less active until it eventually ended in the early 1970s.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
The collection is composed of records and photos regarding the Crossroads Club, which was active in and around Galesburg, Michigan, dating from 1931 to the 1970s. The scrapbook is 44 pages long and contains photographs, newspaper clippings, meeting notes, and by-laws.