Strumatica Business Card
Scope and Contents
Advertising card for a product called Strumatica. The title of the card is "Removal – Strumatica" in bold print followed by text with three sentences stating that this product, first made and sold in 1879 from Dr. Austin's home.
According to the advertising card, John Gates moved the business to Chicago in 1886. The card also states that he remained in Chicago until November of 1904 when he moved back to Kalamazoo due to his declining health. He passed away the next year. Dr. Austin then goes on to write that he will be in charge of the manufacturing and sale of the product. In a 1905 notice by Druggist H. P. Colman in the Kalamazoo Gazette writes that Thomas Malamphy is the proprietor of Strumatica.
Biographical / Historical
Frank G. Austin (1852-1915), son of J.P. Austin and Harriet Fitch Austin, lived in Kalamazoo his entire life. He attended Kalamazoo Public Schools and later studied with Dr. W. T. Metcalf to become a dentist. In the 1880 census, he is a dentist living with his sister and brother-in-law, John A. Gates (1836-1905) and Ellen Austin Gates (1842-1902) along with his mother Harriet. In 1886, he married Ella Post (1866-1951) and they had one daughter Ellen Austin (1887-1971). According to the business card, 1879 is the year Dr. Austin began to produce and sell Strumatica from his home. There are no advertisements in the Kalamazoo Gazette, but a few in the Chicago Tribune starting in 1879. Strumatica claimed to treat salt rheum, eczema, catarrh, rheumatism, asthma, along with any hereditary or contagious blood poison and enlarged lymph glands. Notices in the Tribune state that the product would not be available in stores but only through correspondence. The proprietor is Mr. J.A. Gates, P.O. Box 286, Kalamazoo, Michigan. A bottle of Strumatica cost $3.00 each. An article in the Chicago Tribune from October 14, 1882 announced that beginning in May of 1883, the headquarters would come to Chicago.
.05 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
The collection amounts to .05 cubic feet and is composed of one advertising card for a product called Strumatica. The card measures 3 ¾” x 6” and is made of a cream-colored card stock. There is text on one side and it is blank on the other. There is different typeface with the title in bold print.The year 1905 is in pencil in the lower right hand corner. The card is in good shape, there are no tears or folds although there is some discoloration along with edges.
Published with funds from the Starring Endowment.
- Strumatica Business Card Finding Aid
- Lynn Houghton
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US