Kalamazoo Loose-Leaf Binder Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection is composed of 12 photographs from the Kalamazoo Loose Leaf Binder Company and its successor, the Remington Rand Company which was located at 314-320 (later 312-334) W. Kalamazoo Avenue, Kalamazoo, Michigan. The photographs are from about 1911 until 1940.
- Kalamazoo Loose Leaf Binder Company (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
The Kalamazoo Loose Leaf Binder Company began in 1903 with a factory completed for the business by 1907. A one-story addition to the west was built in 1913 and a three story addition on top of that came in 1917. A four-story addition to the east was completed by 1921. The company merged with the Remington-Rand Company in 1927 but two years later operations moved to Benton Harbor, Michigan. The building continued to be known as the Remington Building and was filled with light manufacturing and service-related companies. As of 2010 the building continues to be in existence.
0.05 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Dean Arend Collection (A-1191)
The collection amounts to .05 cubic feet and is composed of 9 8 ½”x11” black-and-white photographs, four of which are copies. Three of the copies come from original 8”x10” glass plate negatives which are located in the safe. It is not known if the fourth copy comes from a negative or positive image. The photographs are in good condition although one of the aerial shots is creased in some places and yellowed a bit. The glass negatives are in excellent condition.
- Kalamazoo Loose-Leaf Binder Collection Finding Aid
- Lynn Houghton
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Western Michigan University Archives & Regional History Collections Repository
Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
1650 Oakland Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5307 US